Key points about hip dysplasia in babies
- 在1000 babies, 1 to 2 are affected by developmental hip dysplasia.
- Girls are 5 times more likely to get the condition than boys.
- If hip dysplasiais detected earlier, treatment is more effective and the outcome will be better.
- Practicing hip-healthy swaddling can help preventhip dysplasiaand other serious hip problems.
What causeship dysplasia in babies?
the hip joint comprises the head of femur (ball) and pelvis (socket) and is commonly called the "ball and socket" joint. For the hip joint to function and rotate properly, the head of femur has to fit in the pelvis socket tightly.
在hip dysplasia, the socket of the hip is too shallow, so the head of femur (the ball) does not fit properly in the socket, causing the hip joint to be loose. This means it can dislocate easily.
the exact cause of developmentalhip dysplasiais not known. However, the risk factors for babies gettinghip dysplasia包括：
- being female
- being a first born baby
- your baby being in the breech position (feet or bottom first) before birth
- a family history of developmentalhip dysplasia。
What are the symptoms ofhip dysplasia in babies?
- one leg appears shorter than the other
- one leg is less flexible or mobile than the other
- 您的蹒跚学步的li行走路（如果hip dysplasiahas not been diagnosed earlier).
What are the complications ofhip dysplasia in babies?
- severe hip pain
- your child requiring a hip replacement surgery at a young age.
How iship dysplasiadiagnosed in babies?
If your doctor is concerned, they will refer your baby to a paediatric orthopaedic surgeon. If the hips feel stable on exam but there are minor signs, or your baby is older than 4 months, your doctor may request an x-ray or ultrasound of your baby’s hips first.
How iship dysplasia治疗婴儿吗?
发育hip dysplasiais treated by paediatric orthopaedic surgeons. The treatment chosen depends based on your baby's age and the severity of the condition.
- observation with repeat ultrasound scans and x-rays
- a harness or a brace – a splint used to hold your baby's hips in a stable position
talk to your baby's doctor or surgeon to find out the best treatment option.
What is the outlook for a baby withhip dysplasia?
How can I prevent my baby from gettinghip dysplasia?
阻止hip dysplasia，请确保宝宝的臀部不会被伸直并压在一起的腿被紧密地包裹（缠绕）。to allow healthy hip development, the legs should be able to bend up and out at the hips.
If you use a baby carrier, make sure it supports your baby’s hips appropriately – the thighs should be supported and the hips and knees bent (the ‘M’ position).
Read more abouthip-healthy swaddling。
the following links provide further information about developmentalhip dysplasia。请注意，来自其他国家 /地区的网站可能会有与新西兰建议不同的信息。
- Developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH)新西兰奥克兰地区健康路径
- Developmental dysplasia of the hipStarship Clinical Guideline, NZ
|萨拉·杰恩·彼得森（Sara Jayne Pietersen）博士是奥克兰东南部的全科医生。她对旅行医学，儿科和妇女的健康特别感兴趣，尤其是产后时期。她对我们的一般福祉中的角色锻炼和营养发挥着热情。|